Friday, October 20, 2006

So I got a job. It turns out it is as easy as walking in the door and asking. I'm currently a full-time student and part-time caterer. Yes, I am paid to wear a sort of penguin outfit and smile at rich people who say things like: "Sweetie, can you bring me some ice tea with less ice in it?"

Yes, the outfit. Well, I wear black pants, black socks, black shoes, a white button-up with a clip on bowtie. I'm allowed to wear earrings (one per ear) that are smaller than a quarter. This rule has been broken already with a lovely turquoise pair called "dazzling" by on of the line cooks.
I wanted comfy shoes, so I bought a black pair with a white rubber sole, whose whiteness sort of glows about 1 inch around the bottom of the shoe. Ghetto-style, I took a bit of permanent black marker to it-- now they are all black shoes. Two-tone, but all black.

As for other exciting moments, I've been lurking in courtrooms after a class assignment to cover a court case. It's rather crazy how mundane deciding the fates of people's lives has become to the judges and lawyers who work there. I sat in on an abuse case where a man beat his wife with a lead pipe, but tried to lessen the charges by claiming he beat her with a plunger (apparently a less lethal weapon would be a shorter prison term).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home